Thursday, June 5, 2008

Music Showcase 2008



I thought I would show a little of my process for this one. This was for the Pitch Music Showcase that happens every year and I was asked to submit some ideas for it. The Pitch asked a few other illustrators to submit as well and they decided to go with my idea. The sketch on the left was what I sent them originally. My concept was to create a music goddess in the stylings of Vishnu. I wanted every aspect of her to have something to do with music like her piano skirt and the bells in her head dress. They liked the concept and asked to see another with her facing forward instead, hence the sketch on the right.



After being given the go ahead I went ahead and refined the drawing and blew it up to its full 18x24 and got to work on drawing the final. All color and effects were done in Photoshop. This was a very elaborate piece with a lot of detail requiring me to take extra care in making sure that everything worked as a whole and that no elements seemed distracting or unneccessary. I'm very please with how the final turned out and I can't wait to see it as a full sized poster. Click to enlarge the image to see a more detailed version.

3 comments:

Grant said...

That's awesome. Great work.

simson11 said...

Ah, I can see now that it was me who got things wrong. Sorry.
The figure is absolutely brilliant by the way, and certainly better than anything I could ever produce. If I employed him on my table he'd show up all my pitiable efforts and no mistake. To be honest the Colonial figures I'm considering are Peter Pig, but painted up for a long running (imaginary) NW Frontier game set somewhere between say, 1890 & 1900 rather than a (Sudan) African campaign. The campaign shown on my blog is really just a side show to get me "into" the 19th C. (like yourself I have no experience in the period).
diecast cars

ipod touch accessories

simson12 said...

Hi William,
it was you who gave me the the hint to be more decisive about my colour mood in the first version. Thanks for that and your continuing interest.
cartoon vector illustration
Alcohol Addiction Treatment